Identity theft – cases rise by almost a third
According to a recent BBC report, the number of people falling victim to Identity theft has risen by almost a third.
Fraud prevention agency Cifas said the number of victims rose by 31% to 32,058 in the first three months of 2015, compared to the same period in 2014.
Cifas said that more than 80% of identity theft in the first three months of 2015 was attempted or perpetrated online.
Identity theft – steps to protect yourself
CIFAS recommend the following steps to protect yourself from identity theft:-
- Limit the amount of personal information you give away on social networking sites. Your real friends know where you live and know your birthday
- Update your computer’s firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes. Up to 80% of cyber threats can be removed by doing this
- Never share passwords or PINs (personal identification numbers) with others and do not write them down
- Use strong passwords and PINs – don’t use your date of birth or your child’s name, include a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and punctuation marks. Aim for a minimum of 10 characters in a password
- Do not use the same password or PIN for more than one account
- Shred all your financial documents before you throw them away
Identity theft – is there any easier way to be safe?
Given that 5 of the 6 recommendations to protect yourself from identity theft are online, it makes sense to use proprietary software to secure yourself as it is:-
- Simple to use
- Updated to cover the latest threats
Identity Guard – highest rated identity theft protection
Identity Guard received the highest rating for identity theft protection in research, and has many benefits:-
- Flexible plans – Essentials, Total Protection and Platinum
- Family plans – plans are available to cover all family members, including children
- Comprehensive plans – plans to cover different frequencies of reports and number of credit bureaus monitored
Identity Guard – what each identity theft plan includes
Identity Guard Essentials
- Identity theft assistance
- $1 Million Identity theft insurance
- ID Vault Password Protection
- Lost Wallet Protection
Total Protection includes everything from Identity Guard Essentials plus:-
- 3 Credit Bureau monitoring
- Credit score update from one of three credit bureau
- Account access via mobile app
- Public Record Monitoring
- PC keyboard Encryption Monitoring
- PC Antivirus software
The Platinum Plan includes everything from Total Protection, plus monthly credit score updates
Why and how you should sign up for Identity Guard
Given the comprehensive cover Identity Guard provides to protect you from identity theft, the question you should ask yourself is
“Can I afford not to protect myself from identity theft online?”
If you value your and your family’s security online, then you need to use software that is :-
- Flexible to suit your specific needs
- Backed by extremely professional Customer Support
Identity Guard Essentials is the entry level plan that offers complete identity theft, password & lost wallet protection.
Identity Guard will soon provide a Family Plan to cover all members, but until then Identity Guard Kid Sure plans can be subscribed for each child.
If you prefer increased online security and identity theft protection, consider the Total Protection or Platinum Plan